Friday, June 14, 2013

A Taste of France

When I was in Germany, I was introduced to French Macarons (NOT macaroons. Those are completely different) by my lovely roommate Kristen. She loves everything French, including macarons. I tried my first macaron in Germany, not France, because we couldn't find any when we finally decided to look. Silly us. Anyways, I tried my first macaron at a French café in Heidelberg, so it sorta counts, right?

My roommate's obsession with macarons has definitely rubbed off on me. While we were standing in the French equivalent to a Wal-Mart, I swore I would perfect the macaron when I returned to the US. Today, it has begun.

I began researching macarons when I returned home, because Kristen had warned me that making them is a tricky process that takes a while to perfect. The information I found on the internet didn't argue with her. The eggs have to aged properly, and at the correct temperature. One MUST have experience with proper egg-whipping technique, and the same with folding ingredients. The dry ingredients (which are abnormal in themselves) MUST be sifted. The ingredients have to mixed to just the right consistency... To much and they will spread too much when piped, and too little and they just won't turn out right. The piped macarons MUST rest for a certain amount of time before baking. All of these rules overwhelmed me a bit, so I put off making macarons for a couple of weeks. Not to mention, I had no idea where to find almond flour, one of the few ingredients.

Then last night I came across a wonderful blog post about the myths behind macaron-making. According to Stella of BraveTart, most of these are myths. The egg whites don't have to be a certain age or temperature. The macarons don't have to rest before baking. The meringue doesn't have to be treated like a baby, in fact the point is to beat some of the air out of it. Stella inspired me. So today I found Almond flour at Stater Bros. and then came home to get to work.

I gathered all of my ingredients first. I have learned over the years of baking and cooking that it really is easier if you do this first. I used the sub-par scale that we have to weigh out all of the ingredients (because you go by gram-weights, not cup-amounts). And then I got to work. The first batch I made were a little on the small side... I didn't realize they would be that small. They cooked alright, although the tops cracked and they didn't develop very good feet. That's ok. I had three more batches to go. I mixed the batter a little more and then refilled my piping bag. The next two trays were a bit bigger, and they developed feet!!! And smooth domes!! I was so excited! I think maybe the oven wasn't quite ready to do its magic with the first two trays, and the trays may have been too close to the heating element. I had forgotten I had the pizza stone in the oven from making grilled pizza a couple of nights ago, so I had to move it after the first batch.

The third batch was smaller because I was just trying to finish the batter. They developed feet and had mostly smooth domes as well. I think I got it. I haven't actually tried them yet, because I wanted to fill them and then let them sit so the flavors could mingle a bit. For the filling I made a spiced-peach buttercream, and then piped it and made little macaron sandwiches. I must say, they are quite beautiful :)

I feel I have succeeded! Soon I'll try making some more... Maybe Earl Grey next time?!

Batch One, no feet, cracked domes. Still pretty though!

Drawing circles to go by when I pipe.


Piping batch two

Batch Two: some uncracked domes, and some feet!

The rest of batch two: smooth domes and feet!

Piping the filling: Spiced-Peach Buttercream

The several sizes I ended up with

Aren't they pretty?

Grace and Peace!
Suzannah :)

No comments:

Post a Comment