Friday, July 26, 2013

Photography

My mother loves to take photos. More specifically, she loves to take photos of clouds. Here in the desert, she gets plenty of opportunities to do so. Daily.

My mom got started into photography several years ago, somewhat casually. She got a Nikon Coolpix and used that for a while. When it ceased to meet her needs, she got a more advanced camera. She has gone through probably 3 or 4 models from Nikon, and settled on the D90 (for now haha). And since she first started taking photos, she has focused more on the things she likes to take photos for: nature type things (like clouds, our pond) and church happenings.

My mom's dive into photography rubbed off on my brother first. My brother would often sneak off (around the house) with one of my mom's camera's to take his own photos, which irritated my mom when he didn't ask, but showed her and my dad that he had an interest. They gave him a D70, and around the same time he got involved in yearbook at school. He has since gotten much better with his photography skills, and has upgraded to the D90.

I didn't into the whole photography scene until much later. I had a digital camera that I would use for major events, but I didn't just take photos for the sake of taking them very often. I thought it a bit overkill that my mom takes her camera with her everywhere. Then last fall, as I was preparing for Germany in the spring, I decided that I should maybe invest in a better camera so that I would be able to get all the photos I want while in Europe. I bought a used Nikon D60 used for a very reasonable price, and it served me well. While in Europe I became a little bit of a mini-Kelley (my mom): I didn't take my camera with me everywhere, but I did often take it with me. And I took so many photos while in Europe; the count on my computer is a little over 4400, and that doesn't include any photos that I deleted from my computer that were no good (obviously). I didn't ever dream that I would take that many.

The count would be considerably higher had my camera not begun to malfunction 10 days before the end of the semester. I was so upset. Not necessarily because the camera itself was broken, that could be replaced or fixed, but more because I knew that there were things happening in the last week and a half that I would want photos of that I simply wouldn't be able to get. When my parents got there I was able to use my mom's camera with my own card every now and then, for which I am grateful, but it was a bit of a hassle.

Last week I finally replaced my camera. We called a camera store in Bakersfield to see what the cost would be to fix my camera, and it would have been almost equivalent to replacing it with another D60. We decided to think about it a bit, and searched around the internet to read what other people said about the problem my camera was having. We found a lot of information, which told us it was a common problem with the D60. That meant that yes, it may be fixable, but was it going to happen again? Or would I have other problems down that road that would need fixed? Many people spoke of other problems with the camera. We ran into someone that told us about her D3200, which is the camera line that replaces the D60, and she had a glowing report. I read up about it various places online and found that it is one of the best cameras that Nikon has out right now. Wow. Not bad for a small non-professional camera. We found a refurbished one on eBay and bought it, and it arrived the day before I left for Mexico!

So, that whole long story was actually unplanned. I was just going to tell you about my mother's love for taking photos of clouds in order to lead into what we did this morning: took photos of clouds. Well anyways now you know about my new camera.

Looking south, showing a bit of sky through the dark clouds.


Creosote close-up. When this bush is wet from rain, it gives the desert a marvelous, unique smell.


The Sierra Nevada Mountains, to the west of Ridgecrest.


Sometimes even the ugliest things can be beautiful.


One of the features on my camera is a self timer! Me, my mom, and our dog, who actually looked at the camera.


I've heard it said, "It's a long and lonely road." But sometimes, there is beauty in solidarity.


That spot on the bottom of the mountain that looks lighter than the rest is the only spot where the sun poked through the clouds


Chrissy was SO happy to go for a ride and run around in the desert.



We have been blessed this week with more rain than usual, giving the desert that lovely petrichor smell. It rained again this morning as mom and I were leaving the house. When we came home we found that the rain lilies are blooming... How fitting!



Have a wonderful weekend!

Grace and Peace,
Suzannah

No comments:

Post a Comment