Sunday, August 4, 2013

Summer School

This summer, I have been taking a philosophy class through my local community college. It was sixteen weeks of philosophy condensed into eight. To be completely honest, I have hated it. I don't completely know why. Maybe it's because I don't really see the point in questioning the whole universe around me, or maybe it had to do with the workload. I don't know. The workload was pretty ridiculous: we had to read a lecture, read from the text book, watch anywhere from one to three videos, watch a film, answer 12-15 questions for homework, and post to a discussion forum a minimum of 5-6 times a week spread over at least three days, which had to be a mix of original posts and posts on other people's threads, per week. In a word: ridiculous. And we couldn't work ahead, because my professor only allowed us access to one week at a time. Also, most of my classmates really liked to wait until Saturday or Sunday to start posting, so even if I did post on Wednesday, I wouldn't be able to finish until the end of the week. 

Well, for all that, it's done now. In my last three weeks of summer I get to move on to the things I really want to do. As a musician, I enjoy dabbling in other arts, so I have several projects lined up. Right now I am in the middle of two: painting a two foot by three foot canvas and making a slipcover for a chair I got at a thrift store last summer. These are the things I really like to do, to get my creative juices flowing. I have other things lined up, like customizing a case for my phone and making aprons for my roommates and I. I'm so glad I get to move on to these things now!

Grace and Peace!
Suzannah

No comments:

Post a Comment