Wednesday, February 6, 2013

First Lesson and An Invitation to Tea

As I mentioned last night, today was my first cello lesson of the semester. I had met my instructor Johann (Don't be fooled. He's actually Peruvian) before, but that was just for tea to get to know each other. Today I actually played. I was super nervous. This is my first semester that I actually chose what I want to work on, so I chose the piece I have been working on with Jonathan at home, Romberg's Cello Sonata. Well, one of them anyways. At home, Marek always picked the piece for me, which I was fine with because I don't know much about cello repertoire yet, and Jonathan gave me a choice between two pieces. I decided to continue working on the same piece from last semester so that I can make it through the end of the first movement, as I had not quite made it that far last semester. Johann was very encouraging, and showed me several different directions I can take with the piece. When Romberg wrote it he left it pretty open to interpretation, giving only one 'forte' dynamic marking in the whole first movement, so there are many possible directions to take with it. Johann liked what I had done so far, so I'm excited to see what I can do with the rest of the movement.

Now for the tea story. I went to the Indian restaurant for dinner tonight because it is cheap, it is steps from the pension, and the food is delicious. I walked in, and there were two Middle-Eastern men there, getting food as well, one younger (late 20's, early 30's), and the other older (50's). The first (younger) looked at me as soon as I walked in, and since I smiled at him, immediately struck up a conversation. He greeted me in English, and after I responded asked me where I am from. When I told him that I am from the US, he told me he is from Qatar, which I thought was pretty cool, because I have never met anyone from Qatar. After the older man had finished paying, he walked up and continued the conversation, asking me where I am from (again), and then where in the US. When I told him California he lit up and said, "Oh! They have pretty beaches in California!" I agreed, and said that I'm not used to the weather, and commented that they probably aren't either. They laughed and then the older man talked about how he could tell I am American because I was joking with them, and apparently British, French, and German folk don't do that as much. Odd. I didn't know that. Anyways, we laughed about that, and then he asked me if I am in Germany for work or school, to which I replied, of course, school. I went on to explain that I am not studying at the Uni here, but that I am in a private exchange program, and he didn't quite let me finish, but instead said, "Would you like to come to my flat (apartment) for Arab tea?" I was quite surprised by this. I hope it didn't show on my face, although I'm not sure how good my poker face is. I told him that I didn't think I would be able to because of homework, and he interrupted me again to explain himself: "I say because you seem like a good woman, you are very nice." I remember he said something about only me coming, but I don't remember when that was. They were both smiling at me quite strangely. After his interruption, I thanked him kindly for his invitation, but told him I wouldn't be able to make it because of "all my homework." I do have some homework, but none of it is due tomorrow... I just didn't think it wise to go to two strange men's apartment for "tea." I know that in Middle-Eastern cultures extending an invitation to tea to someone is a way of showing hospitality, but it still seemed unwise. Hopefully I never cross their path again, even though the interaction was civil. After I got my food I ran home (about 10 meters) and told Phillip and Andrew about my experience. I'm glad I have a good head on my shoulders, or I could be in a bad situation right now.

Grace and Peace,
Suzannah

No comments:

Post a Comment