Friday, August 23, 2013

Summer Projects: Finished

Tomorrow I leave for school. Today I wrapped up my summer projects. Finally.

Let's start with the chair. This $5 thrift store find became a time-consuming semi-nightmare. It's true. I couldn't have picked a worse fabric. Anyways, I learned my lesson: I will never make a slipcover out of geometric fabric again. There are too many places to match that don't end up matching. The fabric has to be cut just the right way. The chair back isn't a perfect rectangle; the width tapers down to the bottom, so that the top is wider than the bottom. Because of that, we couldn't just sew down both sides, because then the slipcover wouldn't go on. So, we put in a zipper. Easy fix. Sort of.

So there you go! Finished! I'm quite happy with it, even though it gave us a bit of trouble.


Now the painting. I mentioned the other day that I wasn't completely happy with the way the canvas turned out, so I repainted it, and then added the dandelion detail to it. That part was pretty easy compared to the text. The last time I painted a canvas like this, which was for a friend, I made a stencil for the lettering, and then traced it onto the canvas, and then painted it. I didn't have time for that this time around. I had to do it all free-hand. All of it. As I've already mentioned in the past, I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so doing all of the lettering free-hand was so nerve-wracking. Now it's finished, and I'm quite happy with the results.

This canvas was also a thrift store find. It was a blank canvas when I bought it, and it was still shrink-wrapped. I sat with it for about two months trying to get inspired. Then when I got my new phone, I was looking at phone cases and I came across a wooden one with dandelions carved into. Then I thought about the background behind it, and deciding on a sunburst was pretty easy. I had decided on the first line of the doxology before that, so my inspiration was complete. I love the doxology, so that was an easy pick.


There you go! Summer projects are complete. This painting will hang above the couch in my apartment this year, unless there is already something hanging there when I move in tomorrow. If there is, I'll just find another place for it!

Grace and Peace,
Suzannah

No comments:

Post a Comment