Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Heidelberger Schloss

Today we visited the castle ruins on the hill. It was quite a nice experience. We didn't walk up the hill, but instead took the tram up, that takes probably about 45 seconds to a minute. We got there I think about 45 minutes before the tour started, so we had time to walk around the area outside of the castle gate (you have to present your ticket to get in, so we waited and took photos outside it first). Today was quite a bit warmer than it has been, so we didn't mind walking around a bit. It was a wonderful spot from which to take photos of Heidelberg, so I took several. I took a few series with the intent of making a panoramic view with, so I just have to figure out how to do that and then I will post what I come up with. I will post a few photos so far from the castle, but not many because I took a lot.


The group outside the gated part of the castle
The king's palace. This part of the castle is rebuilt.
One of the many stained glass windows inside the rebuilt section of the castle.




This wine-keg was used by the court.
On average, everyone in the court drank 500 gallons of wine a night (total).
This keg holds 55,000 gallons.
A view of our little neck of the woods.
The tall church is the one 50 meters from our Pension.
We were actually able to find our roof!
The castle was fun, but I'm really tired tonight. We also had our first classes today, and then after class Kristen, Nattie, and I walked to the store (about 12 minutes) and then back with groceries, and it was raining at least a little bit both ways. That made me more tired. So overall today was great, but I'm pretty wiped out. It is good to be starting classes though. Tomorrow is my first Germany class (while being here), so I am anxious to see how I do there. Also tomorrow, I meet my instructor for cello. I don't yet have a cello, so I'm not sure how it is going to work out, but I am meeting him, so we will at least have an introduction. Wish me luck!

Grace and Peace,
Suz

No comments:

Post a Comment