Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Meinen Spaziergang

Today we didn't have much planned: a German culture seminar this morning followed by a visit to a hot-chocolate cafe to practice our German, a visit to the Waschsalon (so we knew where it was), and then a meeting with Martin to go over some ground rules for the Pension. The hot-chocolate cafe was quite a new experience for all of us. For the flavored hot chocolates, they brought a cup of steaming hot milk and a chocolate bar with the flavors that you mix for two minutes and then let sit for one minute before drinking. My hot chocolate was quite different. It was Spanish, and tasted like/had the consistency of melted chocolate chips. It was good, but it was very thick and very rich.

After lunch, which consisted of a 0,45 € roll of bread from a Bakerei around the corner and cheese and salami from the Supermarkt next door to that. After lunch and a little bit of tidying and organizing, I decided to go for a walk to find gloves and a handkerchief. I brought gloves with me, but they are a bit bulky and don't actually keep my hands very warm. With the cold weather, my nose is always running, and it's not as easy to find tissue when you go indoors, so I decided that it would be wise to always have one with me. I actually was successful and found both of the things I sought. I was quite surprised. It was about an 8 minute walk to the end of Hauptstrasse, where the big H&M is, and it was sprinkling a bit and a little windy. It was nice to be inside the warm store, although after a quick search I didn't find what I was looking for. I went next door to a little accessory store where I found wool-mix gloves, which are lightweight but warmer than my bulky gloves. Then I went down the street a bit to a department store much like Macy's and found a handkerchief. I got both for about 5€. After that I walked back up Hauptstrasse a little bit and then veered off and followed the roads which ever way seemed best. I passed what looked like the Theater/Production school, because some people inside were working on what I believe to be sets. After a few more turns I reached the library:





I'm not sure which University building this is, but it's beautiful

One of the colorful, winding streets

I came across several beautiful doors and gates:






I came to the river, and the bridge was beautiful (as always):



And then I made my way back to Hauptstrasse, near the connection to our street, in the Marktplatz:


It was a wonderful walk, and I got to see a bit more of the city without any purpose except to see it. This city is beautiful in the rain.

Grace and Peace,

Suz

No comments:

Post a Comment